Sciatica can be a headache to deal with. It occurs when there is an irritation in the sciatic nerve, or more precisely when a herniated disk, the bone spur on the spine or narrowing of the spine (spinal stenosis) compresses part of the nerve.
Inflammation or compression due to the piriformis syndrome, a lesion or fracture in the pelvis, or even a tumor can also result in sciatic pain.
The pain starts from the lower part of the back and travels to the back of one of the legs. Its intensity can sometimes affect the tip of the toes too.
Numbness in the affected leg and inability of the leg to walk or stand are the common outcomes of sciatica.
What Causes Sciatica?
Sciatica comes with different intensity levels. The person suffering from it might just get a slight irritation or a tingling and still be able to walk around correctly, or it could lead to severe pain, making the patient totally unable to perform their routine tasks.
Sciatica happens intensely to any one side of the body, but many people tend to feel its pain in the other side of the body as well.
Numbness in the other leg, hip, lower back side, toe, etc. could be experienced by many individuals suffering from sciatica and that makes walking around and doing other daily activity a hassle.
Some common symptoms of sciatica are:
- Severe pain in leg especially while sitting
- Hip pain
- Pain in lower back
- Constant pain on one side of the rear
- Numbness, weakness, or difficulty in moving the leg or the foot
- A shooting pain which causes difficulty in standing up or moving the foot for any purpose
Irritation of the roots of the lower lumbar and lumbosacral spine is one of the leading reasons for sciatica. Other common causes include:
- Degenerative disc disease (breakdown of discs, which act as cushions between the vertebrae)
- Muscle spasm in the back or buttocks
- Lumbar spinal stenosis (narrowing of the spinal canal in the lower back)
- Spondylolisthesis (a condition in which one vertebra slips forward over another one)
Being overweight, not being active and working out regularly, sleeping on a soft mattress, or wearing high heels can also worsen the pain that is caused by sciatica.
The frequency and severity of sciatica depend on the usage of the legs. For those who have mild to medium level irritation, taking precautions and safety measures would be a good idea as sciatica holds the possibility of getting worse in no time.
Treating sciatica with garlic milk
The title may sound like a highly odd combo, but as a matter of fact, milk and garlic make up a powerful energy drink and it is renowned for many of the health benefits it provides.
Garlic has been widely used since the ancient times for treating various diseases and illnesses that the human race faces.
The antifungal, antibacterial, and antiviral properties of garlic make it the right choice for urging speedy healing and instant recovery from many health issues.
On the other hand, the benefits of milk aren’t unknown to any of us. It does more than just simply strengthening the bones.
It is rich in calcium and lactic acid, both of which combine to nourish the body from the inside and fight harmful bacteria along with assisting many other internal processes of the body.
When combined, garlic and milk make an excellent ayurvedic tonic which is packed with multiple health nutrients and becomes so much more potent.
Enriched with antioxidants, essential nutrients, and enzymes, this magic drink can treat nearly everything ranging from common colds to deep inflammations in every part of the body.
The nourishment properties that are possessed by this drink penetrate deep inside the bones and heal the adverse effects caused due to any internal or external malfunctioning.
Instead of taking painkillers that come with a pile of side effects, or going for pricey surgeries or treatments like physiotherapy, simply drinking garlic milk on a daily basis can serve as the best remedy for sciatica pain.
So, how does one make this highly potent garlic milk drink? It is very easy!
To make this wonder drink you’ll require:
- 1 cup fresh milk
- Three garlic cloves
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- a pinch of black pepper
- Organic honey to taste.
Start with the crushing of the garlic cloves using a sharp-edged knife. Remember not to mince or chop it completely. Then boil the milk on high flame and add the crushed garlic.
Add turmeric and continue to boil it until the garlic becomes soft. Keep stirring occasionally. After the boiling part is done, leave the drink until it’s lukewarm. Sweeten it with some honey and black pepper and enjoy.
Benefits of garlic milk
Garlic milk does wonders for skin, stomach, bones, and various other body parts, both internally and externally. A few of its main advantages are:
- It relieves constipation and indigestion by flushing out the harmful toxins from the body and helps in getting rid of the intestinal parasites and worms.
- A dry cough can be cured with a regular use of this drink as it soothes the throat and speeds up the healing process.
- Insomniacs can benefit from it by taking one glass before going to bed. It provides warmth and comfort to the body and promotes good sleep.
- People who have asthma, bad breath, lung problems, etc., can treat their issues with hot garlic milk as it will soothe the affected area and provide relief.
- Garlic is one of the best food items which will help in reviving the metabolism if you want to burn some excess fat. Eating it raw will let you shed the desired pounds, but you can take it with milk if you don’t like its taste.
- Not only will garlic milk fight the toxic matters in your body, but it will also prevent any further bacterium entering the body by strengthening your immune system with its antibiotic properties.